While distress can still be part of the daily experience at school, in the following week, your focus will turn to restoring the school to its regular routine, while monitoring and supporting any young people who may be at increased risk of suicide. The community's response, including the planning for funerals and memorials, will also need to be considered.
- Restore the school to its regular routine.
- Plan the school’s involvement in the funeral.
- Continue to identify, monitor, support and assess young people at risk. Develop support plans for impacted and high-risk young people. If necessary, refer them for further mental health support.
- Monitor any memorial sites and communicate with young people about any required changes to processes or activities. For offsite memorials, liaise with the police if you have concerns.
- Organise regular staff meetings. Communicate updated information and provide a space for concerns or questions.
- Ensure staff have support within the school and access to external professional advice where required.
- Keep families informed about supports offered at school, changes in routines or activities and supportive resources.
- Collect all the belongings of the deceased student for the police and family.
- Continue to document all the school’s postvention activities and actions.