Assist families to support and promote mental health and wellbeing
As an educator (all staff in a service or school setting), you’ll need a range of strategies to assist families to foster mental health and wellbeing at home. You might also need to provide support.
There are a range of scenarios you will need to prepare for. These might include:
• supporting families to understand the importance of mental health and wellbeing
• assisting families to develop appropriate mental health promotion strategies at home
• having supportive conversations and responding to families who have concerns about their child or young person
• collaborating with families and colleagues to promote mental health and wellbeing and support children and young people experiencing mental health issues and conditions.
Very importantly, you need to understand your role in this area, and the role of your leadership group and others from within your learning community.
What you'll learn through this module
- Know the boundaries of your role in working with families around mental health and wellbeing
- Explain the importance of supporting families to foster mental health and wellbeing
- Assist families with practical strategies to support children and young people’s development and mental health and wellbeing at home
- Assist families to consider the support they might need during times of stress and challenge
- Assist families to understand mental health language and the mental health system