Provide support within and beyond the early childhood service or school
If a child or young person requires support because of a mental health issue, you need to understand your role and the role of others. There should be established pathways of support for these children and young people.
You will need to collaborate with others – both colleagues and families – to enact these pathways of support. You may also be required to provide ongoing support if child or young person has specific needs.
What you'll learn through this module
- Outline the role of educators in supporting children and young people with mental health challenge
- Appropriately use internal support systems to provide early support within professional responsibilities and boundaries
- Understand how to work with colleagues and families to support children and young people
- Provide appropriate daily support to children and young people in your care
- Explain the importance of, and exceptions to, confidentiality requirements
If you’re a PC or Mac user, there’s a notepad feature for you to record notes, actions or discussion points for each topic. If you’re sharing a computer with your team, your notes will be available for everyone to view. If you wish to keep your notes private, please save and delete your notes each time you finish your session. There’s more information in the Notepad user guide on the right.