Be You Implementation Process
There are five stages in the Implementation Process:
- Stage 1: Lay the foundations for success
- Stage 2: Identify your learning community’s needs
- Stage 3: Develop a plan
- Stage 4: Take action
- Stage 5: Monitor, review and improve.
Who's part of the Action Team?
The Action Team may vary in membership numbers but getting the right people on board is really important. To be most effective, try to ensure that membership is diverse and inclusive.
How can you try to give all members of the learning community a voice and the feeling that they're empowered to champion Be You within the school or service?
Action Team members can come from:
- your early learning service or school’s senior leadership team
- members of the wellbeing or welfare team
- families, including parents and carers
- student representatives (considering the supports they will need before, during and after meetings)
- specialist and support staff
- members of the school council or other governing body
- cultural or community leaders
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Elders.
The group is led by the Action Team Leader who coordinates the implementation of a whole learning community approach to Be You. The Action Team Leader is an important and influential leadership role that drives and motivates collective action, ensuring that all learning community members feel part of the Be You journey.
The Action Team Leader might be appointed by the service or school’s senior leadership team, be self-nominated or encouraged to take on the position by the learning community. Action Team Leaders have the support of the rest of the Action Team and the service's or school's leadership – they don’t work in isolation and don’t have to carry the load on their own.
A suitable Action Team leader may be:
- a member of the senior leadership team
- a wellbeing leader
- a year level coordinator in a school
- an educator with experience in social and emotional learning (SEL).
Be You Consultants
You won’t be on your own
Be You Learning Communities have access to a Be You Consultant from Early Childhood Australia or headspace, to support them every step of the way.
Your Be You Consultant will help to ensure the framework is implemented successfully and sustainably at your service or school, leading to positive change. Each Be You Consultant acts as a mentor and advocate, supporting the Action Team Leader to lead confidently and effectively.
Be You Consultants have extensive knowledge about mental health and wellbeing in schools and services. They can also give advice on mental health services and supports in your local community.
Ready to begin as a Be You Learning Community?
There are three key steps to registering:
- Gain support of service or school leadership
- Appoint an Action Team Leader
- Register online.
You're now a Be You Learning Community!
If you’ve got the support of your school or service’s leadership and have an Action Team Leader in place, you can register your learning community online now.
Action Teams help build enthusiasm in learning communities, bringing people together to create long-lasting change for children and young people.