- Michael Hawton
- Who is this for?
- Who is this from?
- Primary teachers and staff, Early childhood educators and staff, Allied health professionals, Other
- Mentally Healthy Communities, Family Partnerships, Early Support
- Early Learning, Primary School
- Families and parenting education
- The project's aim is to help parents and carers manage difficult child behaviour, to provide parents and carers with strategies to promote positive behaviour in their children, to encourage the development of children's ability to manage their emotional reactions to parental boundaries (or emotional competency).
- The 1-2-3 Magic train-the-trainer program costs between $330 - $399. The presentation package (not including the 1-2-3 Magic DVDs) is included in the cost of the training and includes session-by-session guides, PowerPoint presentation for presenters, sample advertising, research articles, tips about how to set-up groups, and information about how to access 1-2-3 Magic resources. 1-2-3 Magic DVDs are available through Parentshop at an additional cost.
- Victoria, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania
- Parentshop Pty Ltd
- PO Box 102|Byron Bay NSW 2481
- Phone number
- 02 6680 8910
- Fax number
- 02 6680 8900
Detailed description1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching is a selected, targeted, prevention and early intervention program, designed for parents and carers of children aged between 2 and 12 years. 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching contains:|Techniques to increase children's ability to self regulate;|Techniques to manage difficult parenting situations;|Contemporary thinking in child development;|Strategies to helping parents and carers to sort different types of behaviour;|The 1-2-3 Magic technique;|Cognitive strategies that parents and carers can teach their children;|Encouraging positive behaviour; and|Relationship-building.
Program structure & method deliveryProgram Structure |Select from: 3 x 2 hour group sessions (maximum 25 participants), conducted weekly; or 3 x 2 hour one-to-one sessions, conducted weekly.|Methods of Delivery|Role play, group discussion, video modelling, PowerPoint presentation;| Homework assignments; and| Materials for parents including a 1-2-3 Magic Program guidebook and DVDs, a Getting Started Guide and a workbook.
Student assessment measuresNo
Professional learning compulsoryYes
Staff professional learning (PL):|1-2-3 Magic Practitioner Training workshops are regularly conducted in all major Australian cities, as well as by invitation from various government departments and non-government groups. These workshops are open to any professional who can demonstrate that they work in the area of supporting and educating parents. Information regarding upcoming workshops can be found at Parentshop website.
Identified theoretical framework1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching draws on a behavioural theoretical framework. The program also uses cognitive-behavioural strategies to teach social and emotional skills to children.
ReferencesReferences supplied by program authors: Bradley, S. J., Jadaa, D., Brody, J., Landy, S., Tallett, S. E., Watson, W., Shea, B. & Stephens, D. (2003). Brief psychoeducational parenting program: An evaluation and 1-year follow-up. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 42, 1171 - 1178
About author(s)Michael Hawton is an Australian psychologist, teacher and author. For most of his 30-year career he has worked in the area of child and family therapy. His career has also included working as an expert witness in the NSW Children's Court and for the Family Court of Australia, where he has prepared hundreds of child welfare reports. Michael has trained over 12,500 family services professionals, nationally and internationally, in how to manage children's and teenager's difficult behaviour.
1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching
Share this guide
Share this guide with someone!